Monday, August 13, 2012

School Time Again!

Time for my kiddos to start school again. Tomorrow will be their first day for the 2012-2013 school year. I was going to keep Brendan home for another year, but everyone talked me into letting him go and he wants to go. He will have to take 2 years of Pre-school because of the new age change that says a child had to turn 5 by July 31st to start school in August. Brendan's birthday is September 25. I'm actually happy he has to wait another year, because we started landed when he was 4 and he turned 5 on September 15, which was just weeks after he started Kindergarten. But because he was so much younger then the other students he struggled last year and will be in Kindergarten again this year. Landon is still struggling with his speech problem and will be in Special Ed. again also to help him with his struggle with reading and writing. Brianne will be in 2nd grade and will have a few different teachers this year. She has ADHD so she struggles in school also, mostly with reading and writing. Hailey is doing great as usual. She's a very smart girl and doesn't have any learning disabilities like her younger siblings. She was in a class for gifted kids last year. I'm hoping she will be in that same class again this year. Hailey will be in 3rd grade this year. I hope they all do well this year and I know I need to make a better effort at helping them at home. I'm really happy that the remodeling in the school is done and that they are back in the McPhee building. Now if they are late, I can afford to drive them to school because I won't have to drive clear to the south side of the city. I need to make sure they have their flu shots this year also. I spaced it off last year and they were sick more then usual.

Sending 4 children to school isn't cheap at all. I'm lucky enough to have my kids going to a elementary school that gives them all the school supplies that they will need to use in school. I don't have to buy their supplies so that saves us some money. My kiddos are approved for free lunches and breakfasts due to our low family income, so that helps us as well. Glenn and I are still responsible for buying their backpacks, clothes, and shoes. It's not cheap when you have 4 kiddos and that's even when you buy items on clearance and cheaper brands. We bought all the kiddos a backpack, a new pair of shoes, socks, underwear for Landon, bras for Hailey, and 4 outfits per kid and spent almost $400. That's a lot of money when your family income is around $2,200 a month for six people. I'm hoping that we can afford pics this year because they are so expensive too. I might just buy a couple of cheap backgrounds and do the pics myself again this year. I already have the photography equipment to do it. I can get backgrounds and order copies of the pics from Mpix for half the price it would cost to just pay for the pros to do the pics. I have a month or two to decide. I will still pay for the class pics. I think it's important for the kids to remember who they went to school with and they can look back at the pics and remember what a great time they had in school. Anyway, looking forward to a great school year!


No comments:

Post a Comment