Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Litha Fire Ritual

It's Summer Solstice (Litha) time again. The longest day of the year. It's when the sun is most powerful and after today the days will be shorter and nights longer. The following is a Fire Ritual that can be done on Litha.

1. If you want to cast a circle before the ritual do so. This ritual is best done outside, but if that isn't possible you can still do it inside.

2.Begin the ritual by preparing the wood for the fire, without lighting it. If you are doing the ritual inside, use a table top brazier or fire safe pot.

3. Say either to yourself or out loud:
"Today, to celebrate Midsummer, I honor the Earth itself. I'm surrounded by all trees. There is a clear sky above me and cool dirt beneath me, and I am connected to all three. I light this fire as the Ancients did so long ago."

At this point start your fire.

Say:
"The wheel of the year has turned once more. The light has grown for six long months until today.

4. Say:
"Today is Litha, called Alban Heruin by my ancestors. A time for celebration. Tomorrow the light will begin to fade as the wheel of the year turns ever on and on.

5. Turn to the East, and say:
"From the East comes the wind, cool and clear. It brings new seeds to the garden, bees to the pollen, and birds to the trees."

6. Turn to the South, and say:
"The sun rises high in the summer sky and lights our way even into the night. Today the sun casts three rays. The light of fire upon the land, sea, and the heavens."

7. Turn to the West, and say:
"From the West, the mist rolls in bringing rain and fog. The life-giving water, without which we would cease to be."

8. Turn to the North, and say:
"Beneath my feet is the Earth, soils dark and fertile. The womb in which all life begins and will later die, then return anew."

Build up the fire even more, so that you have a good strong blaze going.

9. If you wish to make an offering to the Gods and Goddesses, now is the time to do so. This is optional.

Say:
"Alban Heruin is a time of re dedication to the gods. The triple goddess watches over me. She is known by many names. She is Morrighan, Brighid, and Cerridwen. She is the washer at the ford. She is the guardian of the hearth. She is the one who stirs the cauldron of inspiration."

"I give honor to you, o mighty ones, by all your names known and unknown. Bless me with your wisdom and give life and abundance to me, as the sun gives life and abundance to the Earth."

10. Say:
"I make this offering to you to show my allegiance, to show my honor, and to show my dedication to you."

Cast your offering into the fire.

11. Conclude the ritual by saying:
"Today, at Litha, I celebrate the life and love of the gods/goddesses and of the Earth and sun."

Take a few minutes to reflect upon what you have offered, and what the gifts of the gods/goddesses mean to you. When you are ready, if you have cast a circle, dismantle it or dismiss the quarters at this time. Allow your fire to burn out on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment