Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Hits Keep Coming!

The Bad News!

I'm really upset. I've had nothing but bad news for the last few weeks and keep wondering when it's going to stop because I don't think I can handle much more. My Uncle John died a couple weeks ago. I'm not clear on why because I don't know all the details. I just know that he died quickly after being hospitalized. I guess there was nothing the docs could do to save him. All they could do is give him pain meds until he passed. Last week I found out from my mother that she went to the docs and that they have found a mass in one of her lungs. I'm scared for her and still waiting for her next appointment to see what they say. My mother and I have our differences, but we love each other and I really don't want to see anything bad happen to her. And then today I got really horrible news about my daughter Brianne and on top of everything else, let's just say that I'm a wreck and not handling it well.

Brianne's Health!

Brianne has been having a few health problems and she had been having episodes were she spaces off in class. So, we talked to our doc and he ordered an EEG with a pediatric neurologist. We were thinking that it was epilepsy because it runs on my biological dad's side of the family. We got the results back saying that she had abnormal brain activity. Dr. Wolcott (the pediatric neurologist) said that it was coming from the left side of her brain and that he didn't think it was epilepsy. When I heard what he had said I should have known that wasn't good. He ordered an MRI which was done last Friday at St. Elizabeth's Hospital here in Lincoln, Ne. Glenn and I overslept yesterday morning and the kiddos were a few hours late for school. He let me know that he had missed a call from Dr. Wolcott and that he had left a voicemail. Glenn took the kids to school and I waited for him to get back so I could listen to the voicemail to see what the doc had to say. Glenn took his time getting back home and in the house and didn't come back until after he dropped Brendan off at school. When he finally came home I was upstairs in our room watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on my computer. I called his cell and asked if he was going to let me hear the message and he said he'd let me as soon as he took a few messages for the landlord. After a half hour I had to call him again and looking back now I should have known that there was a reason he was avoiding me. He finally came upstairs, handed me the phone, and I listened to the entire message and then just broke down crying. I couldn't breathe and felt like I someone punched a hole in my chest and ripped out my heart. The message Dr. Wolcott left said that the results showed that Brianne has a small tumor on the left side of her cerebellum. I wanted to stay calm and keep it together, but I broke down and cried for over 4 straight hours. During that time Glenn managed to contact family members and doctors. He spoke to Dr. Wolcott and got him to set up an appointment with a pediatric neurosurgeon. We have an appointment with Dr. Mark Puccioni on the 29th to find out what the next step in all this is. I've had very little sleep in the last 36 hours. I can't sleep and can't seem to quit crying. I've turned to facebook off and on as a distraction. I also want to keep everyone updated on what is going on. I think it's horrible that any 7 year old child has to go through something like this, but it's downright a nightmare when it's your own child. I keep asking myself why did it have to be my child? Not that I would ever wish this on anyone else I just didn't want my child to have to deal with something so serious at such a young age. Brianne is my baby and she's only 7 years old. Her 8th birthday is in 2 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately, my mind keeps racing to what ifs and that's not helping my sanity any. I keep thinking about what if they can't remove it, what if other treatments do even worse damage, and what if I lose her? I don't think I can bear the loss of a child. I want to stay positive and be hopeful, but my mind keeps wondering back to those what if and I break down in tears every time. I haven't told Brianne yet. I need to soon, but trying to figure out the best way to tell her. She's young and I don't know if she will understand how serious this is or how she will react. I can't wait until the 29th , because I need to know more about what is going on. I'll do more posts later after we find out more information.

The following is the results of Brianne's MRI!

Name: SMALLWOOD,BRIANNE L
Phys: WOLCOTT,GEORGE MD
DOB: 02/07/2005 Age: 7 Sex: F
Acct: E00021610909 Loc: MRI
Exam Date: 01/18/2013 Status: REG REF
Radiology No:
Unit No: M000692411

EXAM# TYPE/EXAM RESULT
001614779 MRI/Brain With Without Contra

EXAM: MRI of the brain without and with IV contrast

DATE: January 18, 2013.

HISTORY: Forgetfulness, episodes of staring. Abnormal EEG in the
left temporal lobe.

CONTRAST: The patient received 5 cc of MultiHance.

FINDINGS: The patient has moderate motion artifact on the
post contrast images.

There is a 17 mm focus of abnormal T2 hyper intensity in the left
cerebellum as seen on series 5 image #9. Given the motion artifact
through this area there is no obvious abnormal enhancement of this
focus. No mass effect on the fourth ventricle. Remainder of the
brain appears within normal limits without abnormal signal or
enhancement. The ventricles are normal in size. No restricted
diffusion.

 IMPRESSION:

 1. There is an abnormal focus of signal in the left cerebellum.
 Neoplasm would be a very strong consideration for which a glioma
 would be the most likely consideration. Other entities such as an
 atypical demyelinating process would be considered less likely. A
 short term followup MRI scan is recommended if further evaluation is
 not pursued at this time.

Results telephoned by Dr. Ailes to Dr. George Wolcott on January 18,
2013 at 3:00 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. This brought me to tears. My baby is also 7 and I cant imagine what you are going through. I will try to be here as much as I can for you, if you need anything please let me know. Even if its to vent. I am confident she will be okay. Take Care! XO

    ReplyDelete